Sulzer regulators are well known and proved their efficiency over the years. Schematic offered here is slightly modified uni-polar Sulzer regulator which has some improvements over original one:
1. Active regulation element (opamp U1) is supplied by capacitive multipliers Q1, R2, C3.
2. Reference voltage source (Zener diode D12) is fed by the very stable output voltage which ensures its constant working point.
3. Reference voltage source is placed on the right (stabilized) side of the regulator which ensures much more lower noise over it.
4. The network R1, D10, D13 ensures the normal start of the regulator no matter what load is connected.
Schematic has very good capabilities (both simulated and measured) for ripple and noise suppression.
PCB for the schematic is with dimensions 80×65 mm.
PCB thickness: FR4 1.55 mm. Copper thickness: 35um (1oz). Surface finish – Nickel Gold (ENIG).
It is two-layer design with solder mask coating on both layers for best durability. Silk screen with parts layout is placed on the top of the PCB.
PCB has following abilities:
– places for rectifier diodes with different cases – DO41, SOD-57, DO-201.
– places for main filter capacitor with different sizes – radial leaded with lead spacing of 7.5mm or snap-in with lead spacing 10mm. and outer diameter 30mm. max.
– holes for mounting different types of heatsinks
– resistor R5 can be RM10 or RM15 lead spacing (depending on its desired power rating)
– output current limiting network (Q3, R4, R6) which ensures the SOA (safety area of operation) of the regulation transistor Q2
– the output voltage can be fine-tuned with the trimmer-resistor R8
All parts used are easily obtainable from big supplier stores (Mouser, Farnell, Digi-Key etc.) or via e-bay.
Measurements with some easily obtainable OPAmps has been taken in order to verify schematic’s capabilities.
On the picture you can see measured result at output voltage 15V/1A load current with the good ol’ NE5534 that has been taken in order to verify schematic’s capabilities.
Schematic and parts list will be sent to the buyer’s email address after purchase. If for some reason a different email address must be used, note it in the process of checkout.
What the buyer will receive:
The package will contain 1 pcs. PCB for modified Sulzer regulator v.3 – Single Channel.
The unit will be shipped with Priority AirMail Registered (or equivalent courier service where applicable). The tracking number will be sent to the customer after shipment.
Submit your review